The rich colour of Ocado Red Velvet Cake recipe complete with Pistachio Frosting creates a really decadent look that works brilliantly for special celebrations. The creamy pistachio butter gives it a nutty spin, and the frosting has just enough sweetness without being cloying. To make 12 cupcakes instead, halve the cake mix but make all the frosting and bake for 20-25 mins.
- Prep time: 30 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Serves: 10
Bake off goals: A Red Velvet cake recipe
Ingredients (click to add to your Ocado trolley)
- 150ml vegetable oil, plus extra for the tins
- 250g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 275g light brown soft sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 200ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 15g red food colouring
- 125g salted butter, softened
- 175g soft cheese
- 375g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp pistachio nut butter
- 50g shelled pistachios, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Oil 2 x 20cm cake tins; line the bases with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl; stir in the sugar. In a large jug, beat the eggs using a balloon whisk, then whisk in the vegetable oil, buttermilk, vanilla and food colouring. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in the egg mixture and use a spatula to fold together to combine.
- divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 25-30 mins, until risen and firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tins for 10 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack, peel away the paper and leave to cool fully.
- For the frosting, put the butter and soft cheese in a bowl. Sift in the icing sugar and beat with an electric whisk until smooth. Add the pistachio butter and mix again.
- To assemble, put one cake on a serving plate. Spread with a third of the frosting; top with the second sponge. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides, then lightly smooth the edge with a palette knife to create a rustic finish. Scatter the chopped nuts on top. The cake will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days
For more amazing recipes, head to Ocado.